Two Cities, Two Successful Single Family Communities
By Vicki Northcutt and Mary Lee Bennett, Marketing Managers at Southern Land Company
Although Southern Land Company has built several exceptional single-family communities, only one, Tucker Hill in McKinney, Texas, is outside of Tennessee. The Texas neighborhood is modeled after Southern Land Company’s award-winning Westhaven community in Franklin, Tennessee. In many ways, the city of McKinney mirrors Franklin – and those similarities have contributed to the success of both developments.
First, both communities have received national attention for the quality of life they offer residents.
Franklin has been recognized as an excellent place to live by several national publications. According to the Williamson County Convention and Visitors Bureau:
- Business Insider named Franklin the “Best Suburb in Tennessee” in 2016.
- USAToday.com said Franklin has one of the “10 Best Main Streets in the USA” in 2016.
- Rollingstone.com featured Franklin’s Pilgrimage Music festival in its September 2015 issue.
- Forbes.com ranked Franklin #4 in its 2015 “Best Small Cities for Working Parents” list.
- Franklin was ranked 2nd on Bankrate.com’s 2016 “Best Cities for Retirement” list.
As for McKinney:
- Money Magazine named it the #1 Best Place to Live in America in 2014.
- Wallethub ranked McKinney as #40 on its list of “Best U.S. Cities for First-Time Homeowners.” This same publication ranked McKinney #16 on its “Best Cities for Texas Families” list.
- According to Zippia.com, McKinney is 5th on its “Most Successful Cities in America” ranking, thanks to its remarkably low unemployment rate.
- Also in 2016, Apartmentlist.com moved McKinney from #20 in 2015 to #6 on the “100 Best Cities for Young Families” list.
- In 2015, NerdWallet ranked the city as #5 of the “Best Places to Live in Texas.”
Both towns are known for their quaint, historic downtowns, excellent schools and strong economic climates. In fact, McKinney has seen a renewed interest in the redevelopment of its charming downtown square. Its public school system is well respected along with the district that serves Tucker Hill – the Prosper Independent School District. Its public school system continues to receive accolades for everything from athletic state championships to a 99.7% graduation rate. Like Franklin, McKinney is located in a fast-growing county.
Tucker Hill is successful because of its proximity to McKinney, certainly, but also because of its unique topography, which Southern Land Company considered carefully. Southern Land Company takes great pride in incorporating the natural world into its communities and preserving mature trees wherever possible. As such, the company was drawn to the Tucker Hill site, which includes Wilson Creek and gentle, rolling hills. The development, which showcases lush horticulture, authentic architecture and open spaces, compliments the city’s motto of “Unique by Nature.”
Numerous development companies had approached the previous site owner, the Billingsley Company, about purchasing the property. After the owners learned about Southern Land Company’s Westhaven community, their choice was easy. They saw first-hand how Southern Land Company builds beautiful, long-lasting communities that improve the quality of life for its residents, and they wanted that for the Tucker Hill property.
By all counts, Tucker Hill is on track to replicate Southern Land Company’s success in Westhaven. Clearly, the time Southern Land Company spent considering Franklin and McKinney for single-family communities will continue to pay off for Southern Land Company, Tucker Hill and Westhaven and Franklin and McKinney residents.